Many of my clients attributed their weight gain to the insane weather we had this winter. Most of the doctors I work with also thought that the weather may be the reason so many if their patients have gained weight. It was a brutal winter, but there were a lot of people who got in better shape so what was different for them? Desire, focus and perserverence.
Personally when I look at client’s habits, I don’t care what the excuses are. There will always be excuses. There will never be enough time. What matters to me is what someone is willing to do about where they are now. Think about it, if you gained 40 pounds this winter, you are no longer a slim trim fighting machine. You probably feel tired, your clothes are probably tight, and everything takes a little more effort. It is what it is, but what are you going to do about it? Rather than lay on the couch feeling frustrated, I have outlined 10 ideas that will help you lighten your load mentally and physically.
Spring will be here and then it will be bathing suit season. Even if you don’t care about how you look in a thong bikini or speedo, why not look and feel your best. Why not live every day feeling like a Rockstar?
1. Drink water. Your skin looks better, you’ll have less headaches and you’ll be less likely to overeat. If you are not a fan of water, add Crystal Lite or slices of fruit. A lemon in warm water is great for alkalizing the body.
2. Sleep. Your body recovers and your muscles repair during rest. People function better with a good night’s rest and also tend to eat less.
3. Eat a salad a day and make it colorful. There are so many vegetables like cucumber, peppers, celery, romaine, arugula, carrots. You can add as many veggies as you would like and top with 1/2 an avocado and protein. Yummy!
4. Make your own dressing and it will be less calories, less preservatives and taste so much better. Try squeezing a lemon over the salad and add a little balsamic vinegar, with extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of marine salt.
5. Have 3-5 ounces of protein at every meal. I love to put tuna or chicken in my salads. It helps me get fuller quicker and helps me to maintain my lean muscle mass, so my body is firmer.
6. Let go of the negativity and the things you can’t control. Negativity is toxic and eventually your thoughts dictate your actions. Instead of saying to yourself that you feel fat and tired, look in the mirror and tell yourself that today you are on your way to achieving great things.
7. Adopt a mantra. When things get tough, have a saying that gets you through. Whenever I started to feel tired or thirsty during the Barcelona marathon, I repeated to myself, “this is what you came for.” Some other ones I’ve used are listed below.
“You are a Superstar!”
“This is My time to shine!”
“Go hard or go home.”
“Get after it!”
“You only got one shot.”
“I am so lucky to be here!”
“This makes me better.”
8. Find the fun! Life is too short to be miserable. Even when a task or challenge seems impossible, there is always a way you can make it enjoyable! I like to invite friends to train with me, join me for a cleanse, or meet afterwards so my workouts are motivating and I can socialize with friends.
9. Expand your horizons. We become creatures of habit and tend to do the same thing every day. This is safe, but it gets boring after awhile. Change it up this Spring. Pick up a new hobby, try a new fitness class, try a new tea or visit a new city. You grow through experiences outside of your comfort zone and it builds confidence.
10. Let go of the excess baggage. You live one life and letting go is the only way to lighten the load. You and your actions are the only things standing in the way of your happiness. If something makes you sad, let it go. Something better will come your way.
Let me know how you lightened your load by commenting to this blog.
In Health and Happiness,